2 large eggplants
1 bottle of Italian salad dressing
8 ounces ricotta cheese
1 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped
2 pounds heirloom tomatoes
1/2 onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
1/4-1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Peel eggplant, then slice in 1/4 inch thick slices. Arrange on top of paper towels and sprinkle both sides with salt and pepper. Allow to rest for 30 minutes.
3. Marinade the eggplant in the Italian dressing for another 30 minutes.
4. In a large sauce pan saute onions, garlic and crushed red pepper in olive oil over medium heat. Add tomatoes, 1/4 cup of basil, 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper. Reduce heat and simmer.
5. In a medium bowl combine ricotta cheese, 1 cup Parmesan cheese, and remaining 1/4 cup of basil.
6. Grill eggplant for 2 minutes on each side. Spread ricotta cheese mixture on top of each slice then roll up and place seam side down in large baking dish. Continue with remaining eggplant.
7. Top with tomato sauce then the remaining Parmesan and mozzarella cheese. Bake for 20 minutes or until cheese on top is melted.