9.08.2014

Mushroom and green lentil ragu (vegan)


I've been discovering lentils this week.  Last night I made the family a wonderful Italian sausage pasta.  I wanted Italian also so I went to work making this filling, delicious, spicy, vegan dish. It came out rustic and tasting better then the pasta and cheese dish I had made my family.

INGREDIENTS
1.5 Cups green lentils (wash them and check for invaders)
8 Oz diced button mushrooms
8 Oz diced portobello mushrooms
1/2 Yellow onion rough chopped
5 Cloves garlic minced
2-3 Tbsp fresh basil - chiffonade
1- Cup baby spinach chopped
1/2 Tsp onion powder
1 Tsp garlic powder
1 Jar of organic tomato sauce
2.5 Cups organic veggie broth
3 Tbsp balsamic vinigar
Pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
1 Tsp salt
1-2 Tsp pepper
Olive oil

DIRECTIONS
Heat large dutch oven or pot over medium heat.  Toss in your mushrooms and sauté for about five minutes.  Add in onions and garlic and sauté until onions become clear.  Add in garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper, and red peppers.  Wilt in the spinach and basil, mixing until combined. While this is all cooking down rinse and sort through your lentils.  Add lentils to pot and combine.  Add in tomato sauce, vinegar, and stock.  Cover and reduce heat to low. Allow to simmer for 35-40 minutes until most of liquid is gone and lentils are soft. 

I topped mine with some garbanzo beans for dinner.  I added more fresh basil for color but forgot to take a photo before I hoovered it all.
 











No comments: