2.07.2008

When all else fails spaghetti sauce


While I would love to pretend I was some glamorous stay at home mom who had the chance to always make things from scratch, in my real life that isn't possible. While some people frown on things that aren't 100% home made, they don't have kids and work full time! On weekends, yes I can take the time to make a beautiful spaghetti sauce and let it simmer on the stove all day. But during a normal work week I just don't have the time, also I have a gas stove and no part of me is brave enough to leave my house with an open flame on the stove simmering sauce. Huge kitchen fire, NO THANKS! So on the week nights my husband requests spaghetti I have two options, pour some sauce in a jar on it, OR turn the sauce in a jar into something special. SO! That being said, this is how I turn jar sauce into, semi home made sauce. (Chris I will fuck you up if you comment about my jars and cans)!

1 Jar favorite pasta sauce (I like the Bertoli olive oil and basil)
6 cloves garlic minced
1 medium yellow onion chopped
2 pounds ground beef
1 tbsp dry basil
1 package mushrooms cleaned and sliced
1 can tomato paste
1 12 oz can diced tomatoes
1-2 cups vegetable stock
2 tbsp pepper
1 tsp salt
pinch red pepper flakes

In large pot sweat down half the onions and garlic in a bit of EVOO add the diced tomatoes and basil, and half of your salt and pepper, and red pepper flakes. Cook it together for a minute and dump in your jar sauce and tomato paste. If the sauce gets to thick add some of the veggie stock until you get a consistency you like. I like mine thick so I didn't use more then a cup. While that is simmering on low add your beef, and the remaining onions garlic salt and peppers to a sauté pan. While that is cooking toss your mushrooms and a bit of EVOO in another pan to brown them. When the mushrooms are done toss em into the meat and then drain the fat out of your beef (or keep it for extra flavor), when the meat is still a little pink pour your sauce over it and continue cooking on low in the sauce so your red sauce gets the flavor of the meat fully combined with out soaking up all the grease. Anyway like I said I like my sauce thick so I keep it that way. At this point you can thin yours out again if you like. Pour a heaping spoon full on top of your pasta and top with some fresh shaved Parmesan cheese. This is a quick and easy way to turn a jar sauce into something semi home made with a little heart in it.




No comments: