2.19.2009

Summer chicken salad



Dinner tonight started out as this. However, as I opened my refrigerator I saw some bell peppers, and some spinach and I didn't feel like tortilla and something acidic sounded nice so....well the rest is history. There are times in the winter where I just get sick of the cold. I want to feel warm. I want to remember summer, and grilling, and sitting outside relaxing. Sometimes my answer is to cook a nice summery meal, close my eyes and pretend. This salad hit the spot exactly! It was even filling enough for my carnivore husband.

For the chicken
2 lbs boneless skinless chicken
1/3 cup olive oil
1 tsp cumin
1.5 tsp coriander seed
1/2 lime juiced
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp kosher salt
1 clove garlic finely minced (or grated)

For the vegetables
1 cup frozen or fresh white corn
1 red bell pepper diced into 1" x 1/4" pieces
1/2 green bell pepper diced into 1" x 1/4" pieces
1/2 jalapeno seeded and finely diced
1/2 red onion chopped into 1" x 1/4" pieces
1 clove of garlic finely minced (or grated)
1 tbsp olive oil

For vinaigrette
3 tbsp olive oil
1/2 lime juiced
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
1/2 tsp coriander seed
1/2 tsp cumin

Remaining ingredients
2 tomatoes diced
2-3 cups spinach
2 tbsp cilantro chopped
4 tbsp Monteray Jack cheese shredded
pinch salt & pepper

For this dish you want one really good size bowl. First preheat your grill to medium low. In your bowl combine all ingredients for marinade. Whisk together and pour all but 1 tbsp into zip lock bag. Place chicken in bag and combine. Set aside. In your bowl add corn, bell peppers, jalapeno and onion. Toss around in any remaining marinade. Place chicken on grill. Preheat sauté pan with 1 tbsp olive oil over low heat. Toss in vegetables and allow to cook for about 8 minutes. You want them to keep their bite. Remove from heat. In your same bowl combine all ingredients for dressing. Whisk until combined. Add in cooled vegetables and toss to coat. After about 9 minutes flip your chicken. In two bowls add about 1.5 cups of spinach to each. Add cheese and tomatoes. Top with half of your vegetable mixture and vinaigrette. When chicken is done remove from heat and allow it to rest. Slice into strips and place on salad. Add a dash of cilantro and you are done.

Scroll down for tips and advice
Also I am trying out a new printable version below let me know how it works




If your measuring spoon doesn't fit in your spice jar...just dump it out.


It's okay to make a mess



I use my micro plane to quickly make garlic paste because I am lazy tonight


See...do you know how long you would have to chop to get it like that? I do. A long fucking time.








If you are not a wussy baby like me go ahead and use the whole jalapeno








Always cut the pepper skin side down it is a thousand times easier








Same with tomato, always skin side down.





Buch up the cilantro to cut it faster.





See how the chicken is sticking to the grill? That means DON'T FUCKING TURN ME YET STOP FUCKING AROUDN WITH ME. Leave it alone. When it lifts with ease it is ready.










Enjoy!


CLICK BELOW TO ENLARGE PRINTABLE VERSION

No comments: