3.08.2010

Crab cakes

Because of lent I've been challenged to make new seafood items for my husband on Friday's. He loves crab so I decided I would make crab cakes. It was much quicker then I anticipated and kind of fun.

Recipe stolen from Paula Dean (and then altered)

Ingredients

  • 1 pound crabmeat, picked free of shells
  • 3/4 cup crushed crackers (recommended: Ritz)
  • 3 green onions (green and white parts), finely chopped
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped bell pepper (I used red, they are sweet)
  • 1/4 cup mayonnaise
  • 1 egg
  • 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 teaspoon dry mustard
  • 1/2 lemon, juiced
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • Dash cayenne pepper
  • Flour, for dusting
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • Favorite dipping sauce, for serving

Directions

In a large bowl, mix together all ingredients, except for the flour and vegetable oil, reserving 1/4 cup of cracker crumbs. Combine flour and cracker crumbs on small plate. Form mixture into small patties and pat each side in cracker/flour mixture.

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. When oil is hot, carefully place crab cakes, in batches, in pan and fry until browned, about 4 to 5 minutes. Carefully flip crab cakes and fry on other side until golden brown, about 4 minutes.

**Note, my crab was extra wet or something so my mixture started out very wet. I crushed up more crackers and that helped a lot. I recommend having some extra crackers crushed in case you encounter the same problem.









No comments: