3.08.2010

Quick Chicken Pot Pie

I love chicken pot pie. What I don't love is how long it can take to make it when you do all the roux and thickening and shit. So I googled around, and messed around in the kitchen and I present to you my quick chicken (or veggie) pot pie. I will show you the steps for both versions. Basically I cooked the veggies and then added the chicken, reserving some veggies for me. However since my husband is a four year old about veggies I went ahead and added some peas to mine after his portion was safely out of peas harm. Keep in mind the ingredients in this are very loose, you can really adjust the veggie portion however you want, I'm just telling you my version. I'll tell you at the end a few other add ins I like.

Makes 1 9x9 baking dish or two smaller pans
1 batch biscuits (recipe below)
6 pieces boneless skinless chicken thighs or 3 breasts
1 cup celery diced
1 cup carrots diced
1.5 cups yellow potatoes diced
1/2 medium onion diced
1/2 cup frozen peas (unless you are afraid)
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can cream of celery soup (if you are doing a vegetarian use two cans of this)
1 cup chicken stock (or veggie)
1 tsp salt
pepper to taste
Non stick cooking spray

Other additions: broccoli, mushrooms, leeks, and corn. My husband also likes his with gravy on it, since I'm being fast I boil some chicken stock or bouillon and then make a quick roux with 2 tbsp butter and 2.5 tbsp flour for about 3 cups of liquid. I put a little cheddar on mine this time and it rocked.

Pre-heat oven to 450. Coat 9x9 baking dish with cooking spray. Heat large skillet over medium high heat and coat with cooking spray. Add in carrots and cook for 2 minutes. Add in celery and potatoes and cook for 2 minutes. Add in onions and allow to cook until mixture softens, stirring often. (Don't allow your potatoes to get mushy, you want them to just be soft). Mix up biscuits and put in refrigerator. Set veggies aside and coat pan again. Place chicken in the pan and cook on both sides until slightly brown. Do not cook all the way as it will cook more in the oven. Remove chicken and shred or cube. Add chicken and veggies back into pan over low heat with soup. Stir to combine and add in chicken stock. (or veggie). Pour mixture into baking dish. Drop biscuit dough on top and bake for 25 or until biscuits are brown. Allow to cool, and serve.

Please note the portions can be adjusted for any size family. I made all of my veggies and then split it to make dinner for me (meatless) and dinner for my husband (green veggieless).

Quick drop biscuits (really they take about 2 minutes to make)
1.75 cups all purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
5 tablespoons chilled butter diced up
1 cup milk

In a bowl combine flour, baking powder and salt. Cut in butter, mixing until butter is the size of peas. Make a well in the center of mix and add in milk. Stir for no more then a minute until dough pulls away from sides of bowls. If you want to continue making biscuits drop them on an ungreased baking sheet and bake at 450 for 25 minutes or until brown. If not, drop them on your pot pie and follow above directions.











1 comment:

Unknown said...

I recently bought The Temptations pot pie .It is the nastyiest thing i have ever tastiesd,It is out right crap.I will never purchase anything from temptations.