10.22.2008

Creamy herbed potatoes

Earlier in the week I discovered Pioneer Woman Cooks. While browsing her archives I had about 15 photo related orgasms. Finally I decided to try out some of her stuff. I made 3 of her things and this is the first.

Creamy herbed potatoes. They killed me y'all. They were so good and the only problem I could see was the fact that she didn't put a warning about how you shouldn't eat it all while it is cooking or you won't have dinner.

I followed her recipe almost exact except I added one clove of shredded garlic. If I had it all to do again I would probably lower the amount of sage I put in because I think I actually did about 2 tsp instead of 1 tsp.

Pioneer Woman's recipe is as follows

PW’s Creamy Herbed Potatoes

4 to 5 russet potatoes
1 stick (1/4 pound) butter
1 medium onion, finely diced
8 ounces cream cheese
3/4 cup heavy cream
1 cup whole milk (half & half works, too)
1 teaspoon finely chopped rosemary
1 teaspoon finely chopped parsley
1 teaspoon finely chopped chives
1/2 teaspoon finely chopped sage

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Slice potatoes very thinly.
Add butter to a large skillet over medium low heat, When melted, add diced onion. Cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add cream cheese to the pan and stir to melt.
Pour in cream and milk, stirring to combine.
Season with plenty of salt and pepper, then add chopped herbs.
Place potatoes in a buttered baking dish. Pour contents of skillet over the top.
Top with Parmesan cheese and bake for 45 minutes, or until bubby and…bubby. Allow potatoes to sit 15 minutes before serving.


I PERSONALLY LIKED IT WITH THE ONE CLOVE OF GARLIC! I used a mandolin to cut the potatoes, which she also does. I think you could do this with a knife but it would be harder. You can get a cheap functional mandolin for about $30.00 at Williams Sonoma or even Walmart.

No comments: